Wednesday, March 7, 2018

How Will I Protect my Intellectual Property?

     This question has been running through my head for the past couple weeks. We are gearing towards the end of the quarter and i was always having difficulty answering how exactly I wanted to protect my intellectual property. The problem I had was that there isn't much to protect. Besides the name of the company and maybe the logo, the actual product can be remade and I could not do much about it, mostly because the product already exists! So with this in mind I threw out the idea of copyright, there just isn't anything to do it on. Next I quickly thought about trade secret, but again that wouldn't fit the bill either. Patents was a no as well, because there is nothing to really patent, unless I do come up with a new piece of technology later down the line or some software, however at the point in which I am now and my overall vision of the product this doesn't seem to be right either. After doing some more research and I really took thought in exactly what was needed to be protected I decided on going on the trademark route. Trademarks are a way for me to not have to worry about another company using my logos or my company name, this is especially important because my company revolves around quality products and I do not want someone to be making lesser quality products under our name. On top of protecting our brand it is quite nice to use trademarks because it does not have to be renewed over a certain time period like copyrights. Overall I think my company will gear towards trademarks makes it easier for me and it simply fits the bill unlike any of the other options.

No comments:

Post a Comment