Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Guest Speaker - John Dimmer

     Just like our other guest speakers, John Dimmer was a man with plenty knowledge as well as loads of self experience.  His presentation was a lot more technical than our other guest speakers. He constantly went into details about being an entrepreneur and provided the detailed situations and solutions for our businesses. One thing that John said really caught my attention, this was the fact that when he first started his first business he felt unsure and not ready. This above all else really resonates with me. I am only 21 years old and close to finishing my bachelors, I don't think this is the best time for me to start any business, I do believe that working in the industry might be better for the simple fact that I can learn a lot more and hopefully use my honed skills to create something better at the age of maybe 25 than I can now.

     John did something similar to this, he went to school for finance/accounting and after finishing he got hired for his first job. During his first job he did exceedingly well and was able to climb the ranks of the company as well as learn a tremendous amount. After gaining his new found knowledge as well as gaining some maturity, he decided to start his own business. This is sort of the approach I would like to take and hopefully an opportunity to do this will arise. One problem that I did have which maybe not too many others did was I got pretty lost at a couple different moments, he is a technical kind of guy, but to someone without that kind of expertise it can get a bit confusing. He tried his best however to explain it on simpler terms, but there was some complicated topics floating around that day.

     Regardless of that, John Dimmer was an excellent guest speaker, he really filled the void by being a really technical guy, that also related a lot to us students because of his background. I had a great time and on a side note it was nice to see John our teacher Andrew together, they seem like very close friends. Overall great presentation and I hope to see John again one day, hopefully after i'm ready to start my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment